Sunday, 19 May 2013

Who put that bridge there?

Why is it that just when you are getting back into regular cycling, something happens to knock you back a step (or rotation) or two!
Somehow, when driving my desk at work, I managed to twist my knee, which over a couple of hours, swelled up and became more and more painful. I wasn't too worried to start with, but as Saturday wore on, I had to admit that there was no way I could attempt the Loop to The Horseshoe Pass, a 100mile ride on Sunday.
I spent the day moping round the house, convinced my knee was getting better, until I tried to climb the Stairs.
Luckily, by Tuesday all seemed well and I was back out for the Tuesday evening spin.
The group that turned up were all up for a bit of hard work, so we did some loops of the lanes, which added up to 10 miles, and I was happy to do it in just over half an hour, nearly back to the pace I was on in the run up to the Ten Minutes of hell. We then rode on to Hoylake, where we practised riding techniques, pulling each other along, and then going to the back. It didn't take long for the group to get the hang of it and we decided to then ride up to Leasowe and back, with a big group effort on the way home. I couldn't believe we had nearly done 30 miles at the end, with a good average speed.
Thursday there was a larger group, so we did a more social spin out to Heswall then back to West Kirby and Hoylake, where we did a bit more practise of group riding. Another 25 miles in the bag.

Today the plan was to ride out to Chester via Wales, then back through the lanes with a loop round West Kirby. There was a large group too, all looking forward to the promised sunshine!
All was going well, even though the new Marsh path to Wales was covered in Sheep S**T, and I thought we had got away without getting lost, until I realised that I had taken us up a footpath, with a Footbridge over the railway!

I am getting used to having the micky taken out of me for my route planing now!

The rest of the ride was uneventful, not even a puncture to report! We got to Eureka just in time, before the rest of the clubs arrived, and I managed to have a chat with Anne about a ride I am planning for the Clubs Anniversary, more details to follow (when I have them!)

A Busy Eureka Cafe Today
After a refuel, we then looped back round the Wirral, via Capenhurst, Great and Little Sutton, Hooton, Raby Mere, Thornton Hough, Brimstage, Prenton, Moreton and West Kirby, where we treated ourselves to a climb up the hill from the Village then back to the Twelfth Man.
60 miles done without incident, all by 12 o'clock! 


Today saw the maiden ride of Derek's new Onix. That takes our total up to 4, maybe I should talk to Craig about custom club colours and a bit of Sponsorship! 

The only thing that didn't go right today was the weather! (Sunny after the ride doesn't count!)

No comments:

Post a Comment